Tuesday 26 March 2013

My mooncup and Me; one for the ladies!


I have a friend who uses tampons, and was living in Guatemala teaching. She did not get on with the ones she found over there, and so every time someone came to visit, she would ask them to bring tampons from home. It got me thinking about when I return to Guatemala for a longer time, and so I decided to finally invest in a moon-cup. This is my experience  of the moon-cup. I won't go into all the specifications because everything can be found at mooncup uk's website And obviously everybody is different; this is just my personal account.

I ordered the moon-cup from the official website as I was wary and unsure of the cheaper brands, and noticed that the official moon-cup website offered a lot of customer advice and support; something which I thought I may well be making use of! The website also explains which size to choose, how to insert, etc, which is worth paying an extra few pounds for.

When my moon-cup arrived I could not wait for my period to follow; I really have never been so excited for mother nature to hit!

When my period did appear; one morning before work, I rushed to sterilise my moon-cup in a cup (which I use solely for that purpose now) of boiling salt water. I rinsed it off, and frantically tried to insert moon-cup following the manufacturer's instructions (fold in half then fold again).... It was not happening and I was late for work, so to my dismay I had to use a sanitary towel that day. But I was not to be put off; the next day I lay on my back to insert, and instead of folding, simply squeezed it in (it opens up once inside); result!

 When in, the moon-cup is fantastic.... you can leave it in longer than a tampon, and you do because it holds more fluid, and you simply do not feel it there. The problem is getting it in - and even worse for myself was getting it out. Without going into too much detail it is can quite literally become a blood bath! Now I bought the larger size, as instructed (as I have had a natural childbirth), but I am quite small, so I'm going to give it one more cycle, and if it's still so hard to take out I think I may have to try the small size afterall.

So my advice is to ease yourself in; don't throw out your sanitary towels just yet (in fact for the first period, for your own assurance you may want to wear pads with the moon-cup), and if you can, try and make sure you are taking it out, rinsing and re-placing, in your own home, or at least a toilet cubicle which has a sink in !

and if you plan on using it for travelling, please give yourselves a good 3 periods to get used to the moon-cup.

and please make use of the website as it is full of good advice..... and their fun mooncup rap! 
Enjoy Ladies!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thought, comments or questions about the blog....